Saturday, April 17, 2010

in a language i cannot understand

i close my eyes
imagine the glitter and sparkle twirl and orbit around my face
imagine the sun warm my eyelids, yellow and heavy
the birds chirp lazily and i can hear you humming a song i don't know the words to

i open my eyes
i see you smile back at me, your smile crooked and very imperfect
i see lines in your face; years stretch out behind you, i can see it in the corners of your eyes
you open your mouth and out pours a language that i don't understand

you take my hand
your skin is rough, a tattoo; the color of the wind in your hand
i wish you'd hold my hand for a while, it's bigger than my own
your hands dance with the words you create as you speak

...

your song isn't for me, otherwise i would sing along
we can't run through the years together; you already bought a one-way ticket on a train
that won't come back
you hand leaves mine and the color of the wind lifts from my palm
-but the imprint of the hurricane is still seared into my skin


No comments:

Post a Comment