Thursday, April 15, 2010

what if kafka just liked cockroaches?

so. on a complete whim i submitted a couple of my poems to lit mag at my school.
i submitted a personal favorite, hope and soul to ash (i think i posted it here...)
and my advisor told me that he wanted to see me about it

so we were talking, and he told me he likes the way my "brain works"
and my way of thinking, which i had no comment on and respond so with a muttered "ok".

well, he told me that there were a couple things that were preventing it from
being published this year:
1- it seemed "emo" with the death at the end.
first of all, i don't see myself as emo at all, i actually subconsciously cringe at that word- emo.

2-"we" (meaning some sort of secret society of writing gods) like the figurative aspects about it but that i should just cut out all the literal aspects

3- he then told me that obviously the main character is symbolic for something... and then he paused. so i told him that that main character symbolizes (...) which was the truth and it got a little quiet. now i feel really weird that now he knows what my poems about. the real reason i was uncertain of even turning this in was because i knew that people would pick it apart.
no, i don't care if they don't like it. i just hate when people say shit like "the author is symbolising this here..." or "obviously this is a comment on how the traumatic events of the author's childhood shaped his choice of diction here..." i mean. what the fuck. BUT i do understand sometimes it's true. the author did mean that there; but if he/she/i didn't don't pretend it does.

in my english class we're reading kafka's "metamorphosis". every time mr. k's is reading he tells us, "the author turned gregory into a bug because it showed his isolation as a human being. you can see his alienation here and here..."
SO BADLY i would love to be like, "UM. excuse me what if kafka just like cockroaches?"

i guess my point is, that not everything needs to have a point. the whole point of the modernist movement is that the authors wrote about things that didn't make sense. so, why dear teacher, are you adding all this analytical shit to someone's work? what if kafka just fancied cockroaches?

i'm revising my poem; i caved. he did give some good suggestions, i will admit. so my poem will be shined up, clipped up here, and figurative words added there. i'm guess "sad" because when i was writing it i just sat down and typed out how i was feeling at that exact moment. now, i'm writing while trying to remember that feeling. it's not the same thing.

ill post the "better" version here.



2 comments:

  1. your sooooo smart, and i totally feel the same way when were required as American students to actually pretend we know what an author was thinking... an author who could have never been published therefore making him/her exactly like the rest of us writers... AND secondly why should it REALLY matter what they MIGHT have meant the message of the story to be...unless that person made it a point to say "see, what had happened was..." lets not all be mind readers and enjoy the literary work of someone smarter than us without question.
    SO ANYWAYS send me the original i want to read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agreed completley chels!

    ..and the original is already posted on here, somewhere in my march posts if you would like to read it.

    ReplyDelete