Friday, March 12, 2010

six days at the bottom of the ocean

i sunk
the dark water encompasses me
the black water swirls my hair
my body moves in slow motion
as i slowly descend

i hit the sandy bottom
and am caught on a rock
and there i sway, back and forth
six days at the bottom of the ocean

six days, six emotions passed through my chest
six emotions feel heavier than the one felt previously

first, i felt anger
anger that you would try to impede in my life
anger that things had to be so complicated
anger that you did this to me
you striped my flesh from bone

fear, was what i felt on the second day
i looked around me and just saw darkness
the weight of thousands of leagues pushed on my skull
even down here; in silence, i can barely hear myself think
and when i opened my mouth to scream, only a cascade of bubbles poured out of me
the fear wrapped itself in between my ribs
throughout my lungs and chocked my throat
and i was scared the passing of time would never change

jealousy, came next
i braced myself for this one
its such and ugly repulsive creature;
jelousy, that latched onto my ankle
like an a big black suckered octopus from under that anchoring rock
so ugly it stayed weighing me down until my six days were up

the days melted one into another, one black starless night
at the bottom of the cold atlantic
ice slashed my skin, never ceasing

right on time, greed came slothfully and sneakingly upon me
greed looked me in my face, i noticed greed had dead black holes for eyes
greed's white bony hand reached out
in it was the most beautiful blackened dream i have ever seen
but it turned to muddy sand in my hand
and my tears floated up to the surface

...

but then these things started to melt away
like black and red and silver ink through clear water
floating, constantly changing depth and form
up and up where the fisherman scoop it up,
and feed it to millions

as the black ink melted from my pores
it evaporated into the water around me
making me clean
even though it seemed i would always be anchored to the heaviest weight

i stopped struggling
and i accepted
that i cannot do this alone

on the next day, i felt understanding;
that i wasn't the only one
as i realized this, i looked out around the black valley of ocean ground
and saw thousands of corpses
anchored to the ground
becoming alive with love as the ink left their bodies

the sixth day passed in a blur
each new thought a epiphany
each new emotion a gift
each shred of hope an exhilaration

when it was time to leave my lock-down cell
my cage, i realized the key was just lying in the sand, there all along

so i knelt, and scooped it up; like the fisherman
i pushed up off of the ground and floated, almost flew, to the surface

my head finally broke through the last layer of
heaviness and black green ice

i inhaled my first breath in six days
the wind whipped my face and filled my lungs
i looked up the the sky and shouted;
"im free!"

No comments:

Post a Comment